Recommended Gut Rebuild Regime post Xifaxan

Home Forums SIBO Mastery Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth Recommended Gut Rebuild Regime post Xifaxan

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

For patients who take a course of Xifaxan to kill off SIBO bacteria, what is your preferred regime to repopulate the gut, since Xifaxan kills all the bacteria, both good and bad. Thank you!

DrWoeller
      Keymaster

Mark,
        We will get into this much more in Module #6, but generally we don’t aggressively resupply probiotics after botanical or Xifaxan use. You want to make sure people are doing better, able to tolerate more foods with fiber, able to eat and not have issues overall. You can do fermented foods conservatively which helps to build natural flora too. Probiotics often exacerbate SIBO so go cautiously.

Dr. Woeller

I have a client whose dr refused to test for SIBO – but put her on Rifaximin. Total remission of sx. Does this confirm SIBO or just bacterial overgrowth somewhere in the gut
        and, similar to the first post, now what. My experience is post Rifaximin always relapses. I have read about – maintenance dose of herbal antibiotic, motility enhancers, spore biotic, etc. What is your post SIBO relapse prevention protocol?
        thanks
        Lorraine

DrWoeller
        Keymaster

Lorraine,
          We will be able to cover SIBO more in-depth in module #6. Its a tricky disorder and not everyone reacts the same way to treatment. In this situation with a positive response to Rifaxamin it likely was SIBO.

Post-antibiotic, or even botanical treatment, can involve a lot of things, i.e. diet, motility products, even ongoing or repeat therapy to keep the bacteria levels down.

DrWoeller
          Keymaster

The attachment is one document from the SIBO module. The biggest thing post antibiotic treatment is supporting digestion and motility.

A herbal remedy which is helpful is Iberogast – http://www.iberogast.ca which is helpful for gut motility problems.

The FODMAPS diet or Specific Carbohydrate Diet are a few things used to help with ongoing problems secondary to small bowel overgrowth.

Some patients get great response from Rifaximin, but other may need another round.

How long has this patient been symptom free at this point?

Dr. Woeller

Thank You.
              What do you think about Iberogast for motility or does the triphalia do it?

DrWoeller
            Keymaster

Lorraine,
              Ibergast is good. We discuss this in our SIBO Module coming up in a week.
              Dr. Woeller

Viewing 5 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.