Nystatin/Difflucan vs Botanicals

Home Forums SIBO Mastery Candida Nystatin/Difflucan vs Botanicals

Tagged: 

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

I almost always chose botanicals over pharmaceuticals – even when I could get the MD to prescribe. Reason? many clients who have been on multiple courses and relapsed? general concern about side effects? resistance?
      Using nystatin would be a jump start – do the pros outweigh the cons here – do you use it routinely or “try” not to?
      which approach is most efficient, lower relapse rate, safer?
      when would you use the herbal package, versus drugs, versus biocidin comprehensive cleanse?
      thanks

DrWoeller
      Keymaster

Lorraine,
        I personally like Nystatin, but none of the medications having lasting effects forever if people don’t address other issues such as faulty diet, generalized toxicity or other opportunistic pathogens. Candida is a tricky organism and even some of the botanicals fail after a while.

I would ideally like to stay away from medication as much as possible. My decision to use them is taken on a case by case basis. I have had many people who have struggled to get any relief/lasting effects with botanicals and really want to be on medications such as Nystatin. In others, particularly special needs children, their behaviors are so extreme that the only thing to get them out of a crisis is a medication. I have seen some cases of Fecal Smearing in children that is so severe they needed immediate help with Diflucan to resolve the problem – and the stress in the home.

A big advantage of botanicals is the ability to rotate them often if needed, i.e. every 3 to 5 days. This is hard to do with medication, and of course, obtaining botanicals is much easier.

Biocidin, and other combo remedies, are desirable because of their broad-spectrum effects. I do find Grapefruit Seed Extract is an excellent single product on its own. However, all remedies, whether combo or single, have the potential of failing overtime. Again, this goes back to addresses lifestyle factors as much as possible too.

The comprehensive cleansing program (which Dr. Tranchitella will discuss more in Module #9) is helpful for SIBO, can be for candida too, but overall just helps with bowel toxicity and dysbiosis when you cannot exactly place your finger on one specific problem. Many times having people do a a bowel detox helps to clear the symptom picture a bit so you can get a fresh look at things.

Finally, I don’t find combo versus single botanicals versus Nystatin any safer or more dangerous among the group. I have people who are intolerant of botanical’s and do better with Nystatin and vice versa. Overall, most people tolerate all of them okay.

I hope this helps.
        Dr. Woeller

Thank You. It seems getting rid of Candida and preventing relapse are 2 separate problems that need to be addressed. Would it be a bad idea to put someone on Nystatin for a short time as a jump start, then switch to a biocidin cleanse or rotating botanicals as phase 2, then some maintenance dose of botanicals for maintenance?

DrWoeller
        Keymaster

Lorraine,
          I don’t think it is so much two separate problems, but a spectrum of optimal digestive health (which goes along with overall health) and ill-health.

Using Nystatin initially and then transitioning to Biocidin/rotating botanicals is perfectly acceptable in my experience.

Sincerely,
          Dr. Woeller

Viewing 3 reply threads
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.