Can we use pH readings to determine infections?

Home Forums SIBO Mastery Candida Can we use pH readings to determine infections?

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

Since pH has been said to be an important indicator, Like to know more.

I see in my notes that low pH is indicative of infection. Can you elaborate? I’m thinking candida infection as well as die off both would make acidic conditions. Anything else?

If pH returns to normal, is that an indicator of “normal”?

DrWoeller
      Keymaster

Jacqueline,
        Apologies for the late reply. Computer not notifying me of messages.

The difficulty with pH is where the pH is. Stomach pH is very acidic, i.e. 1 to 2, But, its higher in the small intestine. Blood pH is fairly stable at 7.4, but urine pH can fluctuate throughout the day. I don’t think we can assume that a urine pH that changes throughout the day is going to dictate what happens at the cellular level where candida thrives, particularly when candida can alter the pH itself locally.

I do feel that overall stress, i.e. mental/emotional, physical, as well as infections may alter systems in the body leading to unhealthy pH regulation that can stress the immune system. Also, consuming refined foods, excessive caffeine and alcohol will also cause shifts in pH and buffering systems that can create biochemical imbalances too.

I hope this helps.
        Dr. Woeller

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.