Probiotics

Home Forums SIBO Mastery Candida Probiotics

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

Can you provide a list of the more common situations ( either clinically or on the basis of the OAT test etc) where the addition of a very high dose Probiotic is warranted.

Last evening’s topic on Oxalates mentioned that this was an instance where one would start with a high dose Probiotic (VSL#3 or Pro-Bio Premium… with 225 Billion) ? given after meals or on an empty stomach.

Could you provide other possible instances of starting high dose probiotics and any thoughts about the length of time on the higher dose before dropping it down to the 25 billion probiotic range.

Also are there instances where you would favor starting a twice a day schedule versus just once a day?

Thank you

DrWoeller
      Keymaster

Richard,
        High dose probiotics are warranted in low oxalate diet programs. I will typically either use VSL#3 or ProBio Premium. Both are available from New Beginnings Nutritionals – http://www.nbnus.com. The dose is approximately 225 billion organisms.

Another situation for high dose probiotics would be after a course of antibiotics. For example, if someone took a Z-pak for a sinus infection than a high dose probiotic is helpful.

I don’t know how much benefit there is to dosing a probiotic multiple times throughout the day. I have seen people advocate for it, but I have not seen any major differences with people who have tried it.

The main thing I have seen is where taking a high dose probiotic causes loose stools, then sometimes splitting the dose in two can help.

Dr. Woeller

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.