Home Forums SIBO Mastery Digestive Problems IBS since 2000

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

alt constipation/diarrhea in 70 yo woman since 2000

DrWoeller
      Keymaster

Here was my post from before:

Holly,
        If the patient has Cryptosporidium I would make this a priority treatment, then go after the dysbiosis. With the mixed diarrhea/constipation there could be a SIBO issue going on with heightened hydrogen and methane. The 2-hydroxyhippuric could come from many bacteria. It can also be high from acetaminophen and aspirin use, or the consumption of salicylate foods (lots of plants). Sounds to me like the thing to do is address the crypto first, then the dysbiosis.

I hope this helps,
        Dr. Woeller

I just got a chance to look at the 2-hydroxyhippuric.

I have never seen one this high. There is nothing on the OAT that suggests infection and I doubt a level of 2-hydroxyhippuric like this is from bacteria. Inquire with the patient about acetaminophen or aspirin use. It could be food related too, but that is really high.

I still feel the Cryptosporidium is a priority treatment

Dr. Woeller

I asked the patient about acetaminophen and aspirin. here is her response: “I know I didn’t use Aspirin or Tylenol. I may have eaten a protein bar that had an artificial sweetener.”

thank you,

h

DrWoeller
        Keymaster

Holly,
          It is something from her diet. Perhaps it is the protein bar? But, I feel strongly it is something being consumed.
          Dr. Woeller

I will look into it further – Thank you!

Viewing 4 reply threads
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.