betaine HCL

Home Forums SIBO Mastery Digestive Problems betaine HCL

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

I have many clients who seem to need acid support.
      I have 2 clients who are up to 6 Betaine HCL with no flushing.
      This means they need it, correct?
      Is there a limit to how much they should take?
      before or during the meal?
      can someone be on it forever? I do try to transition them to bitters/lemon/
      HCV etc. But wondering if theres a risk.
      Your stomach if it was doing its job has to be secreting more acid than that.
      thanks
      Lorraine

DrWoeller
      Keymaster

Lorraine,
        Flushing with Betaine HCL? We have seen this with Niacin supplementation, but not HCL. Burning in the stomach, and possible esophagus could occur with too much HCL though. Is this what the patient is referring to regarding ‘flushing.’

Too much of HCL will end in a burning sensation. This is the limit and less should be used. Taking before meals, about 10 to 15 minutes, is optimal. This allows the capsule to dissolve a bit before food is ingested.

It is possible someone may need HCL long-term, but most commonly if the stomach has a chance to heal this isn’t necessary.

Dr. Woeller

what about quantity? is there a safe upper limit – if someone is getting to 6 and still no burning?

DrWoeller
        Keymaster

Lorraine,
          I would not suggest going above the recommended amount on the bottle, unless you can verify acid amounts via testing. I don’t know of any specific study verify an upper limit of safety. The chances of there being no acid production in the stomach is unlikely. Would it be a problem to use between 2 to 4 capsules with meals? I am personally not comfortable pushing the limits to where burning occurs.

Dr. Woeller

What is the best MMC migrating motor complex stimulator ? Should an anti constipation modality also be used to make sure elimination is in place prior to beginning of therapy? Should we give that before starting any antibiotic and or herbal protocol for candida / clostridia ? Do u use activated charcoal on a regular basis to prevent/ minimize due- off? Thank you ,
          Clarice Moussalli, MD

DrWoeller
          Keymaster

Clarice,
            Likely Erythromycin 50mg at bedtime as it is a stimulator of motilin production. You do have the secondary yeast exacerbation problems too. We like to use Ibergast – http://www.ibergast.ca or obtain from Emerson Ecologics – http://www.emersonecologics.com. 20 drops three times daily or 60 drops at bedtime.

Another factor that helps promote MMC activity is the fasting state. There are approximately 9 to 11 MMC waves daily in the average person. A individual with SIBO will have a lower amount, i.e. 3 to 4 daily. Therefore, having people separate their meals by 4 to 4.5 hours can help trying as best as possible to keep the intestines clear of food.

If you have a person with constipation than it is advantageous to have them work on this. A small amount of psyllium fiber may help, along with some magnesium citrate or oxide at 400+mg daily. Another good magnesium is from OxyPowder – http://www.oxypowder.com. This product is specifically marketed for constipation. Watch out of inulin and slippery elm in products though as some people with SIBO can be aggravated by this ingredients.

We use Activated Charcoal (AC) commonly, but don’t automatically add it in as it can be constipating. For a diarrhea person it can be great. Constipation type person, potentially a problem, but not always. Usually we will wait and see if a person develops die-off before adding AC. It is good for them to have a bottle on hand though. It is not expensive.

Dr. Woeller

Thank you so much Dr. Woeller.
            1: So , if have a + Candida, will skip the erythromycin.
            2: Can the licorice root in the ibergast aggravate SIBO symptoms, or will the beneficial effect on the MMC override any concerns?
            3: Magnesium citrate will lower the oxalate ( elevated on OAT) and presumably coming from + arabinose/Candida.However, in the SIBO lecture, we were told to use the hydroxide because it is the least absorbed. Is it better to skip any magnesium at this point ( for treatment of constipation ) and concentrate on removal of Candida ? and possibly add triphala instead?And of course, supporting a low oxalate diet.
            Thank you for your clarifications,

Clarice

DrWoeller
            Keymaster

Clarice,

1 – I would agree with that
              2 – Have not seen a problem with our practice
              3 – If you have oxalates and SIBO and constipation than the magnesium citrate would be a good choice. The chances of it causing issues is slim. I think you can still focus on reducing/eliminating candida at the same time treating SIBO and high oxalates.

I hope this helps.
              Dr. Woeller

Yes,this information is very helpful.
              thank you very much , Dr. Woeller.

Clarice

Viewing 8 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.