DHPPA

Home Forums SIBO Mastery General DHPPA

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

Dr Woeller,
      How should a high DHPPA value be interpreted? If it’s a marker for good bacteria, can it be considered a marker for SIBO?

I have attached an OAT test. How would you address the microbial markers? Could the patient benefit from biocidin or antibiotic therapy?

Would you recommend probiotics after antibiotic treatment for SIBO, in order to avoid fungal or clostridium taking the place of the “good bacteria”?

Thank you very much!

Alba

DrWoeller
      Keymaster

Maria,
        It is possibly SIBO, but you would have to breath test for this specifically. However, the 4-hydroxyphenylacetic acid is elevated which has been looked at previously with regards to small bowel bacterial overgrowth.

This could be a person whose intestinal bacteria are assertively converting chlorogenic acid from food which is normal giving the elevated DHPPA. Probiotics can also increase the production of DHPPA too. It is not a toxin so the correlation of potential SIBO would have to be done through symptoms and then breath testing.

You could proceed with treatment though too, and I feel this is reasonable if patient is symptomatic.

I don’t see any indication of clostridia. Therefore, if the clinical presentation of the individual correlates strongly with SIBO I would recommend going through the course material for that module and implement a botanical program and see how they respond.

I hope this helps.

Sincerely,
        Dr. Woeller

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.